What if you could do everything you need to make a great-tasting espresso drink – from grinding to frothing milk – all on one machine?
Believe it or not, you can. With an increasing focus on convenience these days, there’s a growing number of espresso machines that come with bean hoppers built right into them.
In this guide, we’ll go over the best espresso machines with two hoppers. We’ll introduce you to the world of espresso machines, and tell you why these handy machines are the best.
By the end of this guide, you’ll know:
- Common features you’ll find in these machines
- How to decide between espresso machines with two hoppers
- Our personal picks for the best espresso machines with dual hoppers
COMMON SUPERAUTOMATIC ESPRESSO MACHINE FEATURES
SUPERAUTOMATIC MACHINE TYPE (AND WHAT IT MEANS)
A lot of the time, when you look into espresso machines that come with multiple integrated hoppers, you’ll find that they’re superautomatic machines.
So what is superautomatic and how does it affect you?
You can think of superautomatic machines as getting the whole espresso package at once. In other setups, if you want to provide a latte made from freshly ground coffee, you’d need to purchase a grinder and an espresso machine.
Superautomatic machines make the extra expenditure unnecessary by combining these functions into one. With a push of a button, you’ll be able to grind your beans, extract the espresso, and froth the milk.
One of the greatest things about this is that anyone can learn to do it. Whether you’re a business owner training new hires or a home user with no experience, anyone can make a great-tasting espresso drink on these machines.
ONE- OR TWO- STEP CONFIGURATIONS
Whether a superautomatic machine is one- or two-step may be another thing that will come up in your search.
Put simply, it’s just the number of steps you as the user have to go through before you’ve got a complete drink in your cup.
Some superautomatic machines are two-step machines, which means the machine will do everything for you except steam the milk. You’ll select what type of beverage you need as the first step, and then froth milk as the second step.
One-step machines combine everything into one push of a button.
It’s not a massive difference, but one-step machines can save you a little time and make your drinks more uniform since you won’t have to worry about the quality of your foam changing as you steam manually.
AUTOMATIC MILK FOAMING
If you’ve chosen a superautomatic machine with only one step, it will come with some kind of machine-controlled foaming system.
There isn’t really much of a difference here, either, but the names of the systems can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Franke machines call theirs the FoamMaster system. The Nuova Simonelli machines in this guide refer to it as automated milk steaming.
The end result, however, is essentially the same: perfectly frothed milk to top off your espresso with.
WHAT TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING
Since you’re likely going to be choosing from a variety of superautomatic machines when you look for espresso machines with multiple hoppers in them, you’ll need to look further than basic machine type to make your decision.
Here are some things you can consider to help you decide:
- Drink volume
- Types of drinks
Budget is typically the first thing anyone thinks about when they invest in pretty much anything. How much are you willing to spend?
The prices really vary with superautomatic machines, so there are options to choose from for either end of the spectrum – high or low, depending on how limited your budget is.
Next, you can look at how many espresso-based beverages you’re going to make on the average day.
If you’re a really busy coffee shop or café that gets a ton of espresso orders, you’ll want a machine that doesn’t get outpaced by demand.
One-step machines, for example, will be faster than two-step ones, since your employees won’t need to steam the milk. This also gives them much-needed time to attend to other matters, like talking to your customers.
But if you’re just interested in getting a superautomatic machine with hoppers for your home, you probably aren’t going to make as many drinks. A similar concept applies if you’re planning on adding a machine like this to a small office.
In those situations, the extra speed of a one-step machine might not make all that much of a difference for you. You should be comfortable with a two-step machine.
Another thing that matters is what type of drinks you’ll be making.
If you or your customers seem to prefer sweet drinks with different-flavored syrups such as vanilla or pumpkin, then you’ll like a machine that comes with a syrup station. Not every superautomatic machine does.
Yet if all you need to make is the essentials, like a simple latte or macchiato, you won’t really need a syrup station.
BEST ESPRESSO MACHINES WITH TWO HOPPERS
The Nuova Simonelli Talento comes from a manufacturer with a long history of quality espresso machines, and it shows.
Outwardly, the Talento is a very professional-looking and approachable machine, with sleek metallic sides and large, easy-to-read buttons. Inwardly, it comes with the ability to handle even the highest levels of demand, with a flexible spout that can brew drinks of different sizes and up to 20 different programmable drink options.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $16,650 (2-step) or $17,700 (1-step)
- Machine Type: Superautomatic
- 1- or 2-Step Configurations: With the one-step configuration, you or your employees just need to push a button and wait. The two-step configuration allows you a little more room for flexibility by having the user steam the milk however necessary.
- 10 Programmable Drink Buttons: Use 10 different programmable drink buttons for your most common drinks, so you can just choose the right button for the drink when you need one. With two digital pages, you can add 10 more drinks on the second page for a total of 20 possible pre-programmed drinks.
- Flexible Spout: Leave the crema on top of your espresso undisturbed by brewing directly into any cup you need to.
- Self-Diagnostic Program: One of the biggest nuisances with any piece of equipment is figuring out what went wrong when there’s an issue. With the Talento’s self-diagnosis program, the machine itself will tell you when there’s a problem so you’ll know what needs to be addressed.
- Automatic Washing Program: Using the automatic washing feature, you can tell the machine to clean itself at the end of the day while you handle more important tasks.
If you can learn to use a tablet or a smart phone, you can learn to use the Franke A600 FM CM.
The Franke A600 is controlled via a large 8-inch touchscreen that’s intuitive to navigate. Despite being easy, this model can still deliver barista-level drinks to you with advanced pre-infusion technology that settles your grounds before extraction and the innovative FoamMaster system that makes smooth microfoam for you every time.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $14,032
- Machine Type: Superautomatic
- Pre-Infusion: By immersing the espresso cake in water before extraction, channels that would negatively impact flavor are smoothed out, leading to well-rounded taste in the end.
- FoamMaster System: Like other one-step machines, the Franke A600 will create silky microfoam for you to top your drinks off with.
- Optional Flavored Syrups: If you want to offer your customers extra flavors or have them at home, you’ll love the optional flavor station that you can choose with this model.
- Two Powder Containers: Store cocoa or milk powder – or both – in the containers, so you can add chocolate to your drinks or take advantage of the long shelf-life of powdered milk.
- CleanMaster System: The integrated cleaning cartridge in the machine allows you to sit back and relax while the Franke A600 takes care of cleaning itself for you.
- iQFlow Technology: This feature helps boost a balanced extraction. It’s an added layer of protection in addition to pre-infusion, so you can be sure each cup will taste irresistible.
As a superautomatic machine, the Nuova Simonelli Prontobar makes top-notch espresso accessible to rookies.
Its one-step configuration will make delicious lattes, macchiatos, or cappuccinos a button push and a short wait away. The two-step configuration will require you or your employees to froth the milk, but this is still fairly simple to learn and will involve your employees more in the drink-making process.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $12,600
- Machine Type: Superautomatic
- 1- and 2-step Configurations: This machine can truly accommodate even the newest baristas. With the one-step configuration, it will grind, tamp, brew, and steam milk for you. The two-step configuration will grant users the flexibility to make their own milk foam.
- Steel Burrs: Constructed from high-quality steel, the burrs in the Prontobar’s grinders won’t need to be replaced too soon.
- Quiet Pump: Need to keep a particular atmosphere uninterrupted? This machine’s pump naturally operates more quietly, so your customers won’t have to shout to be heard.
- 6 Programmable Drink Buttons: Teach the prontobar how to make up to 6 of your or your customers’ favorite drinks, so you’ll be able to access those same drinks repeatedly by just selecting the right button.
Have you ever admired beautiful latte art? The Franke S700 makes crafting this art simple.
Like other superautomatic machines on this list, it grinds, tamps, and brews your espresso for you. However, the user has control over the steaming step in the process using the special Latte Art Autosteam Wand that’s specifically designed to make microfoam ideal for award-winning latte art.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $11,589.60
- Machine Type: Superautomatic + manual foaming
- Latte Art Autosteam Wand: By aerating the milk to generate perfect microfoam, the wand on this machine was built for creating gorgeous art on top of lattes.
- Optional Brewed Coffee: Sometimes, you or your customers may want a simple cup of drip coffee. With the brewed coffee feature you can choose, you can offer fresh brewed coffee one cup at a time to those craving a traditional cup of joe.
- Front Door Accessible Grind Adjustment: You won’t need to look for hidden buttons to alter the fineness settings for your grind – you’ll be able to tweak the fineness or coarseness of your coffee right on the front door of the Franke S700.
Home users or small businesses will love the Franke A400 FM CM, which brings all the high-tech of a superautomatic at a more modest cost.
You’ll still get ultra-advanced features that make this machine so incredibly simple to use, it can be learned in as little as five minutes. The touchscreen controls are familiar to use, with drinks being represented by clear pictures to choose from.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $8,789.60
- Machine Type: Superautomatic
- Adjustable Beverage Spout: The spout can be moved from a height of 88 to 180mm, so you can fit taller cups underneath easily.
- Pre-Infusion: Guarantees balanced extraction and flavor in every cup.
- CleanMaster System: No time to clean? No problem. The Franke A400 can clean itself for you so thoroughly that it complies with strict HACCP hygiene standards.
- Optional Cup Warmer: Pouring hot drinks into cold cups is a recipe for rapid cooling. With the Franke A400’s optional cup warmer, the machine can pre-warm your cups for you so that your hot drinks stay hotter longer.