Whether you’re making drinks for yourself or customers, most people can agree that fresher coffee and espresso tastes better.
The way to make sure you’re providing the freshest coffee and espresso is by grinding it right before making each drink. For that, you’ll need a high-quality grinder.
If you’re concerned about cost, we’ve compiled this guide to the top 3 best espresso grinders under $1,000. We’ll instruct you on the nuts and bolts of each espresso grinder, so you’ll understand which one is best for your situation.
This is what we’ll explain:
- Basic features of grinders and what they mean
- How to define your needs so you pick the best grinder
- Our choices for the top 3 best espresso grinders under $1,000
Let’s get started.
BASIC GRINDER FEATURES AND WHAT THEY MEAN
TYPE OF BURR
Central to every espresso grinder is what it uses to grind, which is usually blades or burrs.
Since every grinder on our list uses burrs, we’ll focus on burrs and their nuances.
Burrs can be divided into conical and flat categories. What’s the difference between them and how does that impact you?
First, the burr type can really change the flavor of your coffee and espresso. Conical burrs, to begin with, are well-known for heightening the lively and bright flavors from the coffee beans.
This is because conical burrs, which are cone-shaped, produce coffee particles of different sizes. These are called bimodal particles.
Flat burrs, the alternative, are two flat discs that sit atop one another. Because they create consistently uniform particles, they’re associated with sweet and decadent flavors, like chocolatey and nutty.
These differences mean you should determine what preferences you may have for flavors and choose the correct burr accordingly.
If you’re looking for a commercial grinder, you’ll usually find flat burrs, but if your preference is for conical ones, you can find a grinder that meets that preference.
STEPPED VS STEPLESS GRIND ADJUSTMENT
How you choose the fineness or coarseness of a grind depends on the grind adjustment system used by the grinder.
Typically, experts tend to prefer stepless grind adjustment designs. In this kind of design, there are two settings on either end of the spectrum that represent the finest and coarsest possible on the grinder, and you can choose anything between them.
An advantage to this system is the virtually unlimited flexibility. However, stepless grinders also need to be recalibrated to the correct setting occasionally during continuous use.
On a stepped grinder, you have manufactured notched settings to choose from. While this does decrease the accuracy to which you can grind, it also can be a little quicker for beginners to grasp.
Most busy commercial settings want a grinder that can keep going with little maintenance.
If you’re one of them, you should examine the hopper capacity on any potential grinder you choose. The larger the hopper, the fewer and farther between refills of beans will be.
The benefit to this is you won’t need to stop in the middle of a line of customers to refill your grinder as often. The time saved from fewer refills can add up and help you serve customers faster.
Alternatively, if your search is for a home grinder, hopper capacity probably isn’t going to be a crucial component on your list. Pretty much any hopper size will be plentiful for personal use.
These days, with so many appliances out there for businesses and homes alike, it’s possible you’ve got little counter space to spare.
To ensure your grinder will fit right in, you can also consider its dimensions. That way, you’re able to measure your layout in advance and know for sure where you can put your new grinder.
The good thing is, if you’ve got a cramped countertop, there’s likely a grinder that will squeeze in. Grinders come in all shapes and sizes, and many come with short hoppers to even further reduce their height so they can slide right under low cabinets.
DEFINING WHAT YOU NEED IN AN ESPRESSO GRINDER
Once you’ve learned a little about different grinder components, you can begin sketching an idea of what you’re looking for in your own grinder.
For starters, there’s flavor to consider. Do you or your customers like fruity flavors?
Then a conical burr grinder is perfect for you.
But if you think rich and sweet flavors are preferable, then flat burrs will make you happy.
Next, there’s the variety of drinks you might be making. It’s no secret that different kinds of coffee need different grind textures.
If you’re going to be making a lot of coffees or espresso, a stepless grinder is a solid investment. You’ll be able to experiment with flavor through the endless fineness settings.
However, if you’re a beginner or your grinder will only be used for a few basic drinks, then a stepped grinder may be preferable.
Another thing to consider is how often you’ll be using your grinder. If you need it to withstand heavy-duty or continuous use, you’ll want a larger hopper so you won’t need to deal with refilling it frequently.
At the same time, hopper size won’t affect you all that much if you’re planning on using your grinder to make drinks for yourself at home.
TOP 3 BEST ESPRESSO GRINDERS UNDER $1,000
You can expect the same level of quality time after time from the Fiorenzato Evo Electronic Coffee Grinder.
With most stepless espresso grinders, natural shifting occurs during heavy use that requires you to recalibrate the fineness setting. This isn’t so with the Fiorenzato Evo, which is built with a sturdy design that minimalizes shifting and guarantees you an unwavering level of quality.
Further safeguarding the quality of your drinks, this grinder is practically clump-free. You won’t find dense clumps to throw off your extraction with this grinder.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $995
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Size: 64mm
- Grind Adjustment: Stepless
- Hopper Capacity: 3.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 9” W x 9.5” D x 20” H
- Cooling Fan: Protect your beans from burning with a built-in fan that automatically turns on when you’re grinding.
- Full-Color Touchscreen Display: The beautiful color touchscreen display on this grinder is easy to read and navigate, making it accessible for all skill levels. You’ll be able to monitor time, temperature, and humidity in the display, giving you all the information you need to make sure conditions are optimal for grinding.
- Cast Aluminum and Steel Construction: The robust and strong build of this machine will promote its longevity and preserve your investment.
- Hopper Trap Door: By sliding the trap door into place beneath the hopper, you can easily remove the hopper with the beans inside. This makes changing types of beans quick and painless.
The Baratza Forte AP Coffee & Espresso Grinder was born to be accurate.
It’s capable of grinding coffee by both weight and time, giving you the power to promise consistency in every single cup you drink or sell. To ensure you’re getting the exact amount of grounds you need every time, this brilliant grinder can weigh in increments of 0.1 grams.
But accuracy doesn’t mean complexity. As a stepped grinder, the Forte is painless to learn, and even your newest employees won’t need much time to adjust to the macro and micro fineness adjustment wheels.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $899
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Size: 54 mm
- Grind Adjustment: Stepped
- Hopper Capacity: 10 oz
- Dimensions: 5 ¼” W x 7” D x 14 ¼” H
- Built-In Bean Stopper: Easily remove the bean hopper without spilling any beans using the built-in bean stopper.
- Macro and Micro Grind Adjustment: If you’re worried that a stepped grind adjustment means you’re losing the ability to fine-tune your grind, don’t be. With the macro and micro adjustment wheels, you’ll have 260 different fineness settings to choose from.
- All metal grinding chamber and metal enclosure: With an all-metal grinding chamber and enclosure, you can be sure this grinder is built to last.
With the Compak K3 Touch Coffee Grinder, budget and quality have been happily married.
It’s worth noting that this is an exceptionally attractive grinder. Its tower-like shape and stout bean hopper give it a look of stability and endurance that would look at home on any countertop.
But looks aren’t all this grinder brings to the table. With its low RPM of 1,340 and flat burrs, you’ll enjoy indulgent and uniformly excellent coffee and espresso every time.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $584.50
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr size: 58mm
- Grind Adjustment: Stepless
- Hopper Capacity: 10 oz
- Dimensions: 6 ½” W x 12” x 16 ½” H
- Adjustable Portafilter Holder: Grind right into the middle of portafilters of any size with the adjustable portafilter holder, helping ensure a balanced extraction.
- Built-In Time: Save yourself the trouble of buying a timer or using your smartphone – you’ll be able to measure doses with the K3’s built-in timer.
- Easy-to-Clean Dispensing Shoot: Have you ever felt that cleaning a machine was hassle? The dispensing shoot on this grinder is easy to clean, making it so you don’t have to spend as much time on the cleanup.