Mahlkonig vs Ditting: Which Brand Should you Choose?
If you want the best possible coffee and espresso, experts around the world will tell you that you need to grind it right before brewing. The thing about grinders, however, is that not all of them are created equally.
Mahlkonig and Ditting are two giants in the field of grinders. In this guide, we’ll be comparing Mahlkonig vs Ditting so you can choose between these titans.
Read on, and we’ll give you some crucial background information on these companies.
Even if you’ve only done a little research on grinders, you’ve more likely than not heard the name Mahlkonig. Home users and businesses alike around the world often highly recommend these grinders.
But just what is Mahlkonig? To start with, they’ve been making coffee and espresso grinders since 1924.
Their goal has been to ensure uniform grinding all while preserving the delicate and delicious aromas of different types of coffee. They have continuously demonstrated this.
For that reason, Mahlkonig is one of the most popular names in grinders whenever you ask seasoned baristas which ones are the best.
There’s a bit of an interesting story behind Ditting. They have origins in Switzerland in 1928, but they didn’t actually start off making grinders.
Ditting began as an automobile body manufacturer. It was only approximately 30 years later, in 1954, that they switched to a new focus: high-quality commercial coffee grinders.
Their switch to coffee grinders has been to the benefit of the industry. Like Mahlkonig, they’re a well-respected brand.
One thing they’ve focused on is paying careful attention to trends and needs in the coffee industry. Their grinders all use a unique grinding disc design known for making extremely uniform particles.
Right away, one thing you might know about Mahlkonig is that they’re known for their immense popularity. They’re a household name in the homes of knowledgeable coffee aficionados or baristas.
So what makes them so popular?
Part of it is surely due to their on-demand grinding system. Unlike many other grinders that grind into a container that is then used later, many Malkonig grinders prepare as much as you need when you need it.
They have consistently been fierce advocates for guaranteeing that each cup is as fresh as it can possibly be. What you’re getting with a Mahlkonig tends to be an unforgettable flavor and more control over dialing in the grind.
What do you get out of choosing a Ditting grinder?
For one thing, you can expect particle uniformity. Your coffee blends will be ground to precision time after time.
Keeping your beans cool is another thing Ditting grinders specialize in. You and your customer’s won’t be unpleasantly shocked by an acrid and burnt taste to your coffee, because their grinding discs are designed to keep cool.
Another thing about the Ditting grinders that we have is that they’re reliable. You can anticipate them to continue grinding homogenously and seamlessly for a long time to come.
So Which One Should you Choose?
It’s important to mention here that both Mahlkonig and Ditting are great manufacturers. We can’t definitively say one is superior to the other, because you’ll get a dependable grinder from either one.
But that does leave the question: why would you choose one over the other?
One deciding factor could be where and how you’re planning on using it. If you’re searching for a commercial-level grinder to use at home, for example, Mahlkonig makes a wide range of grinders for all purposes.
Because they have so many options, you’ll probably find one that would suit your needs at home without being over the top.
On the other end, however, Ditting tends to focus more so on making commercial and industrial grinders. While it’s possible you could use one in your home, they’re built more with businesses in mind.
Mahlkonig also makes a large number of commercial and industrial grinders, though. That’s an important distinction to make in this comparison.
Cost could be another part of your deliberations. Mahlkonig has a few especially affordable options if you’re concerned about budget.
Top Mahlkonig Grinders
Our customers have loved the Mahlkonig Peak. It’s a tried and true sort of grinder that’s earned its popularity.
With its flat burrs, you can expect sweet and comforting flavors to be accentuated in your coffee. And with a stepless grind adjustment system, the possibilities are endless here.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $2,375
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 80 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 3 pounds
- Double Ventilation System: The cooling system keeps going even during prolonged use, protecting your beans from being overheated.
- Stepless Grind Adjustment System: Instead of being limited to pre-set notches, your baristas will be able to choose any grind fineness with an easy twist of the collar.
- Adjustable Spout: Helps guarantee even extraction by letting you grind directly into portafilters of any size. You can reposition the spout however you need, when you need it.
- Spout Illumination: Dim lights? That’s no problem for the Mahlkonig Peak, because it provides lighting around the spout so your employees won’t be disrupted by low-light settings.
If you’re looking for something especially affordable, the Mahlkonig K30 is an excellent choice. However, aside from being affordable, it’s also incredibly convenient.
It has a hands-free grinding design that will hold your portafilter in place for you. No more having to hover over your coffee grinder every time you need to use it.
And it’s great for new employees, as well. You can program the correct doses in advance for single and double shots, eliminating variations in quality that come from people of different experience levels using the grinder.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $1,900
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 65 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 3 lbs
- Electronic Shot Counter: Allows you to keep track of how much espresso or coffee you’re using by counting the number of shots.
- Illuminated Display: Your employees won’t need to squint at the display to see what they’re doing, because it’s clearly lit.
- Programmable Shot Dosage: Input the exact amount for single or double shots beforehand, so new employees only need to choose whether they need a single or double. As a bonus, this keeps them from having to fuss with settings during a rush.
- Fan Cooling System: Protects your coffee from being burnt during grinding.
Top Ditting Grinders
The Ditting K804 can be used in a range of settings, from labs to small cafes and restaurants.
Capable of grinding up to a pound per minute, it’s a speedy grinder, too. You won’t find yourself getting held up on the grinding step of your drink-making process.
Furthermore, it’s built to draw out the deepest aromas from your coffees. Your business will smell welcoming from the moment your customers step in the front door.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $2,795
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 80 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 1 pounds
- Wear-Resistant Burrs: The composite used to make the burrs is so long-lasting, you’ll be able to grind up to 15,000 pounds of coffee before you need to replace them.
- Stepless Grind Adjustment: Vastly expands your grinding possibilities by letting baristas choose any setting on the wheel.
- Adjustable Tray Height: A tray at the bottom holds cups or bowls in place, and can be raised or lowered to accommodate containers of many sizes.
Looking for a grinder that can keep up with the needs of a small café without slowing you down? Dittings KR804 could be just what you’re looking for.
It’s fast enough to grind a pound per minute, but it doesn’t sacrifice uniformity in particles. You can expect the same level of quality each time.
As a bonus, it has a bag-shaking mechanism built right in. This helps settle the grounds in a bag, which is perfect if you sell grounds for your customers to take home.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $2,695
- Burrs: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 80 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 1
- Bag-Shaking Mechanism: The plate you can set bags on for grinding into vibrates, settling the grounds. It’s an extra touch that will save you a little time if you sell entire bags to customers.
- Manual Tapper: Helps keep coffee grounds from getting left over in the spout, so old and stale grounds don’t get mixed in with new ones.
- Easy Cleaning: It’s so easy to clean, that you can use it to grind different kinds of coffee without worrying about leftover flavors interfering with each new blend.