Mahlkonig vs Compak: Which One is Best for You?
Trying to decide if you should get your next coffee grinder from Mahlkonig or Compak?
We’ll help you answer that question. In this guide, we’ll be comparing Mahlkonig vs Compak.
We’ll discuss their history, their strengths, and how you can decide between them. After, if you’re still uncertain which ones to buy, we’ll be showing you some of their best models.
Let’s get started.
Chances are, you’ve heard of Mahlkonig. This legend in the coffee world has been around since the early 1920’s.
With almost one hundred years of experience in manufacturing, you can be 100% sure any grinder you get from them is a well-designed machine.
Throughout their lifespan, their goal has been to make on-demand grinding mainstream. This means that each dose of coffee is ground right when you need it, rather than grinding batches beforehand.
The result of this is a hearty and indulgent taste, sure to make your coffee experience memorable.
If you’d like to see our complete collection of Mahlkonig grinders, you check them out here.
Compak’s story begins in Barcelona in 1952, where it was created by a man named Jesus Ascao. Its mission was to craft elite coffee grinders, and over time, they’ve evolved to include new goals.
Nowadays, Compak believes in continuing to keep on top of the trends and needs of the coffee world while also working to be conscious of our environment. They firmly believe it’s possible to be both profitable and environmentally friendly in their daily operations.
They also continue to create reliable and tough coffee grinders that you can trust in. Through the application of rigorous quality requirements, Compak ensures their machines are up to the test.
Otherwise, if you want to see our Compak collection in its entirety, you can take a look.
Mahlkonig didn’t establish themselves in the industry by making forgettable machines. It was quite the opposite, in fact.
One thing Mahlkonig is known for is providing aromatic and fresh coffee grounds time after time. This is largely because of their use of grinding on-demand.
Every single batch of coffee is ground for you as you need it, and usually directly into a portafilter, although they do also have models that hold bags. There’s a tremendous difference in the flavor of cups made this way – they’re anything but stale-tasting.
You’ll also find that many Mahlkonig machines give users the maximum amount of control over the texture of the grind. Usually, they do this with stepless grind adjustment systems.
On some grinders, you only have a few notches to choose from to dictate how coarse or fine the grind is. There are usually some gaps in between these notches, making it difficult or impossible to achieve the perfect fineness for every blend.
That’s not the case with Mahlkonig. Put briefly, stepless grind adjustment doesn’t use notches and allows you to choose anywhere within a wide range of settings.
Something Compak does particularly well is providing inexpensive coffee grinders. If you’re a beginner looking to start grinding fresh from home, this affordability makes them a solid choice to start with.
Another thing they do well is adding modern twists to their designs. True to their mission, they keep up with the changing times so they don’t get left in the dust.
An example of this would be the use of touchscreens in some of their grinders. That makes using them both modern and simple – after all, many people use phones, computers, and tablets with touchscreens these days.
Freshness is a quality they value, as well, like Mahlkonig. Because of this, their machines offer on-demand grinding that gives you the amount you need when you need it.
This also aligns with their goals of environmental preservation. Grinding exactly as much as you need prevents possible waste from leftovers.
Which One is Best for You?
When you’re in the market for a new coffee grinder and wondering where to begin, one thing we’ll always recommend doing is thinking about what you need it to do. There is no miracle grinder that fits everyone’s needs, which is why we can’t consistently recommend one brand or another.
It will depend on what you personally need your grinder to do, whether that’s heavy-duty continuous grinding like you’d see in a coffee shop or occasional grinding you’d see in a home.
Mahlkonig makes wonderful commercial and industrial-level grinders. Coffee shops, restaurants, stores, and those who supply coffee to these businesses can’t go wrong with Mahlkonig.
Of course, Compak has some options that work well in a coffee shop or restaurant, as well. You have some flexibility if that’s the kind of grinder you’re looking for with either Mahlkonig or Compak.
Need one for your home? Mahlkonig and Compak could work in this regard, but Compak has a couple models that are particularly inexpensive.
For that reason, consider Compak in the event you’re searching for an extremely affordable grinder for yourself.
Top Mahlkonig Grinders
The Mahlkonig Peak is the quintessential Mahlkonig grinder. It’s a fantastic example of all the qualities Mahlkonig strives for in their products.
For instance, it has a robust ventilation system that prevents beans from being burnt in even continuous grinding situations. It also has an unbelievable amount of accuracy in its dosage programming, which lets you make tweaks down to .01-second increments.
This is a grinder for experts, and it can be used to produce exquisite drinks in a café, restaurant, or office.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $2,375
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 80 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 3 lbs
- Precise Dosage Adjustment: With the ability to adjust programmable doses in tiny increments of 0.01 seconds, you can ensure each dose is perfect.
- Double Ventilation System: Even during nonstop grinding, your coffee won’t get burnt with this powerful cooling system.
- OLED Display: Control over the grinder can largely be done through this easy and clear OLED display.
- Cast Steel Grinding Disc Construction: At 80 mm, these grinding discs are both large and sturdy. You won’t find them wearing down anytime soon.
Before we begin discussing the K30, it’s crucial to mention that there are a few configurations for it available. However, we’re choosing the K30 Twin for this comparison because of its highly unique two-in-one design.
Rather than just one powerful grinder, you’re getting two here. This makes it possible to grind two types of coffee at the same time, or to even grind more of one kind at once.
With its stepless grind adjustment, your baristas will be able to finely tweak the grind for any blend. The end product will be one that tastes both memorable and refined.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $3,250
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 65 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 65 lbs in each of the two hoppers
- Stepless Grind Adjustment: Gives you virtually endless adjustability for grind texture.
- Fan Cooling System: Safeguards beans from being burnt during rigorous use.
- Display Illumination: Illumination makes the display easy to read, so employees can rapidly access settings and make adjustments as necessary.
- Software PIN Protection: Protects settings behind a PIN code, so they can’t be changed on accident by inexperienced users.
Top Compak Grinders
The Compak F10 is an absolutely stunning grinder in person. Gently sloping sides and metallic accents make it something you should be proud to have on your counter.
With just a few buttons and dial, it’s also very user-friendly. Your newest baristas will be able to learn to use it in total style.
Plus, with a large hopper capacity of over three pounds, you expect it to keep up with the demands of a rush.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $2,678
- Burr Type: Conical
- Burr Diameter: 68 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 1 lbs
- Double Fan Cooling System: Even during constant use, this Compak F10 won’t singe coffee beans.
- Adjustable Fork: By moving the height of the portafilter fork, you can grind directly into portafilters of various sizes, which results in a more even extraction.
- Password Protected Settings: Lock settings behind a password to protect them from accidental changes.
If you’re worried that a good grinder is beyond your budget, there are grinders like the Compak K3 Touch.
Here, you’ll get advanced features like stepless adjustment for a budget-friendly cost. This same stepless adjustment gives you complete control over fineness, so you can find the optimal grind for any blend.
With a low RPM of 1340, you can also rest assured your beans won’t come out blackened from this grinder.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $584.50
- Burr Type: Flat
- Burr Diameter: 58 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 10 oz
- Adjustable Portafilter Holder: Allows you to fit portafilters of all sizes under the spout so you can get precisely as much as you need for a shot.
- Easy to Clean Dispensing Shoot: Because the design is so simple to clean, you’ll be able to prevent stale grounds that get left behind from getting mixed in with your fresh coffee.
- Stepless Grind Adjustment: Gives baristas the power to optimize fineness for every blend.